Friday, May 2, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (First Impressions) (Movie Review)


Our favorite web swinging superhero is back in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”, this time he’s battling new enemy’s, learning more about the secrets of his parents and struggling with the complications in his relationship with Gwen Stacy. I’m still collecting all my thoughts on the film, but for the most part, I liked it a lot. It’s consistently entertaining but it never comes off as rushed, it actually moves at a very nice pace. Some may think it goes on for a little too long, but I can’t think of a moment when I wanted the movie to end.

I like how this movie spends it’s time with these characters instead of just jumping from one action scene to the next. On that note, the battles are great, the special effects are awesome and it’s really cool to watch Spider-Man do his usual hero stuff. Both Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are back as Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy and their the engine that pulls this train. All the performances in this movie are great but these two just hit it out of the park in their respected roles. The plot can get a little over stuffed with lots of plot threads going on at once, but I still liked these plot lines and they held my interest, honestly, this will affect people differently. The tone can also get a little disjointed, at times the film acts like a comedy, while other times it acts like a legit drama.

Jamie Foxx plays the new villain called Electro, and he’s awesome, his design is great, his electrical powers are cool and his fights with Spider-Man are awesome. I will admit that he gets beaten with no real payoff because the movie establishes him as this really conflicted character, but his story gets dropped so quickly to make way for the new Green Goblin. He’s also played very well by Dane DeHaan and his character is interesting, however some fans may be disappointed that he’s not in the movie for long, at least not as the Green Goblin. Another villain called The Rhino also makes what’s barley more than a cameo in the film, and while he could have been cut out, I did still enjoy his scenes.

Honestly the only thing that bothered me while I was watching this movie was the occasionally shaky camera, which got really annoying. Other than that, I actually had a lot of fun with this movie, the action was great, it held my interest, the villains were fun and the ending delivers one of the most powerful dramatic moments in the series. There’s also a trailer during the credits for the upcoming “X-Men Days of the Future Past” movie, which really wasn’t necessary but I still enjoyed it. Overall, I can see some people annoyed with this movie but I can imagine just as many Spider-Man fans thrilled by it, and personally, I think it’s one of the best entries in the series. I give “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”, 4 stars out of 5.   

No comments:

Post a Comment