Sunday, August 21, 2022

Shrek 2 (2004) (Movie Review)

    While the original 2001 animated picture “Shrek” is deservedly a classic … I personally find it’s 2004 sequel superior in almost every way. Seriously, in my view, “Shrek 2” is one of those perfect sequels, as it takes all the winning ingredients of the first, builds on top of it, and cranks-up the quality to eleven. By extent, I also think back on “Shrek 2” as one of my favorite comedies, as phew other animated movies have gotten me to laugh as frequently, or as consistently as this film. In fact, I think it’s worthy of being called a comedy classic in its own right. Nearly twenty-years old, let’s look back and see just how well “Shrek 2” has held-up as a staple in DreamWorks animation.

    We pick-up with Shrek and Fionna, who are happily living together, and Fionna perfectly content in her new Ogre form. However, her human parents summon the new couple to their kingdom of “Far Far Away” … and are rather put-off buy their daughter’s new appearance, as well as her new Ogre husband. With things getting heated, Shrek and Fionna’s relationship goes through a loop, and Shrek himself ponders if he needs to make new, permanent changes of his own in order to make both Fionna, and her parents happy. Thus, Shrek, Donkey and a newly reformed hit-man called Puss in Boots set-off on a journey to find their own “Happily Ever After”. Unfortunately, lurking in the shadows is a crooked Fairy Godmother, who harbors a prejudice against Ogres, viewing them as monsters that don’t deserve a “Happily Ever After”. Thus, she hatches a scheme, using her son Prince Charming to win over Princess Fionna, and banish Shrek from the royal family for good.

    In general, I find this story a perfect continuation of the first, and even steps-up the theme from before. Where the original was about our perception of beauty, this film is all about accepting changes, and coping with them for the people we love. We previously saw Fionna’s willingness to permanently change into an Ogre, and now we see the reverse, with Shrek willing to change into a human for her. We actually spend a lot of time with Shrek outside of his iconic Ogre design, which was risky, but it really paid-off. Beyond anything, this film highlights what a wonderful Odd-Couple Shrek and Fiona are. 

I thought they made for a decent enough pair in the first movie, but this film really got me to care for them, to the point where they might just be one of my favorite animated couples. That, and I feel Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz had gotten the most comfortable in their respected roles of Shrek and Princess Fiona, as they really brought the characters to life in this film. I also love the King and Queen in this film, and how their story compliments our two leads. Julie Andrews was certainly a welcome surprise in the role of Queen Lillian. John Cleese likewise is always a delight, and on top of his vocal talents, I think that his character, King Harold, has one of the best arcs in the film. Jumping to the end for a moment, the King reveals he was once “the frog prince”, and reverts back to his real form, but this time is content, and finally willing to embrace changes of his own … as well as love for his new son-in-law. As a side note, the Kings initial presumed death before his transformation leads to my favorite line in the whole movie … “He corked!”.   

    Eddie Murphy is back as Donkey, channeling the same energy as before, but this time bringing all the funny remarks and quips that have cemented his status as one of the great animated side-characters. 

It’s hard to explain why, but I find myself enjoying Donkey the most when he’s in his white horse form. Something about his reactions and remarks always have me grinning from ear to ear. I’ll admit, I missed the presence of the female Dragon, but at least she got a funny mid-credit scene, along with her and Donkeys “Mutant Babies”. Of course, the big breakout character is Puss in Boots, played by the always awesome Antonio Banderas. Prior to this movie, I already liked the classic Puss in Boots fairytale, and for years wanted him to get his chance to shine on the silver screen. While a little different from his source material, I think it’s safe to say that this version of Puss in Boots has become his iconic film representation. Giving him a Zorro type persona was an inspired idea, and all the more fitting with Antonio Banderas in the role, as he already shined as Zorro in the 1998 picture “The Mask of Zorro”.

   Rupert Everett voices the slimy Prince Charming, and while he’s not quiet on par with the previous nasty Prince, he’s still a decent secondary villain. The wicked Fairy Godmother is yet another excellent character, easily my favorite of all the “Shrek” villains, and I’d even place her among my favorite animated female villains. Jennifer Saunders has a perfect voice for the role, fitting the gentle nature of the traditional character, but with that proper touch of menace added in. In general, one of the many appealing qualities of the “Shrek” franchise is how it takes these well-known fairytale archetypes, makes them funny, and basically re-invents them in very creative ways. Case in point, Fairy Godmothers are typically portrayed as the loving, nurturing moral support for the hero, but in “Shrek 2” we get a very original twist on the formula. This Fairy Godmother is a crooked business tycoon, acts more like a celebrity, and as established, follows a strict status quo in which only the good-looking Prince and Princess can have a happily ever after, while Ogre’s should be left in the swamp. It’s a great concept for a satirical fairytale of this sort, and she makes for a menacing, yet enjoyably hammy villain all at once.      

   It goes without saying that “Shrek 2” has my favorite ensemble of characters, but even beyond the main cast, I love all the little side-characters featured in this film. The Ginger Bread Man is given a bigger supporting role this time, which is great, as he made for a funny cameo in the original. The Fairy Godmother also has these disgruntled Work-Elves in her service, who provide some laughs. 

I even like that Fionna gets her own pet dog in this film. Joan Rivers makes a funny cameo as herself acting as a Red-Carpet Announcer. Simon Cowell also makes a guest appearance in the DVD short-film titled “Far, Far Away Idol”, which is a now dated, yet still amusing parody of “American Idol”. The setting of “Far, Far Away” is amusingly modeled after Beverly Hills, and becomes a character in of itself. As a result, the world of the Shrek universe always felt larger, and more expansive in this film. There’s a seedy pub where all the classic fairytale villains gather called “The Poison Apple” … which is about as perfect a name as you can get. The animation has also stepped-up from before, with brighter colors, more appealing imagery, and details that I feel pop on the screen. 

    I also think the soundtrack has aged quiet well, as I still enjoy listening to the majority of the songs, and they fit the film great. Rich Price’s “I’m on my Way” is decent, and I still hear Lipps, Inc’s cover of “Funkytown” at parties. I also feel there’s more musical highlights spread throughout this film as opposed to the first. The Fairy Godmother gets a colorful song number, and there’s a very fun sequence with our hero’s escaping her factor, all set to Pete Yorn’s “Ever Fallen in Love”. 

Of course, one of the big songs to highlight is “Accidentally in Love”, performed by Counting Crows. This song was nominated at the Academy Awards for Best Original Song, but lost to "Al Otro Lado Del Río" from “The Motorcycle Diaries”. Speaking personally, Accidentally in Love” is generally one of my favorite romantic-themed song-numbers from an animated picture. It’s the perfect odd love-song for a perfect odd couple. The title sums their relation up beautifully, as they did accidentally fall in love, and they couldn't be happier about it. It's also a really upbeat song, with a nice beat, and the scene in the beginning of the movie offers more than enough visual gags, and amusing movie references. Their wedding rings are a lampoon of “The Lord of the Rings”, they also share an upside-down kiss like in "Spider-Man", and there’s a loving nod to the famous beach scene from the 1953 War classic “From Here to Eternity”. This scene already had a good parody in the 1980 comedy “Airplane!”, but “Shrek 2” takes it to the next level, with a well-placed cameo from “The Little Mermaid”.

   While on the subject, the Comedy in this film is top-tier, laugh out loud quality. I wasn’t kidding when I said that “Shrek 2” is one of my favorite comedies, as it’s one of those films I can watch a dozen times, still discover something new to laugh at, and all while still getting a big chuckle out of the films many hilarious highlights. 

One of the films biggest appeals are its numerous details on display, which also applies to the comedy. There are jokes hiding in the background, four-ground, subtle jokes, obvious jokes, and it’s just non-stop all the way through. The energy never lets-up either, as from frame one, this film throws everything it can at you. Just the little things like this one trumpet player wanting a solo amidst his band get me chuckling. 

Another little detail I love is when Shrek is reading Fionna's diary ... "Sleeping Beauty is having a slumber party" ... and afterword's refers to it as "a scary book".  One of my favorite gags is an editing joke involving Shrek and Fionna as they approach the King and Queen, and as we cut back-and-forth between the two pairs, they overlap each-others sentences. 

The awkward family dinner scene is a classic example of thins escalating out of control, as an already uncomfortable moment can just spiral out of control. One small warning for new-comers is a scene involving a posse of Knights apprehending our hero’s, and it’s depicted like a cop-busting TV show … which I admittedly laughed at, but now days, I can see this scene alarming some viewers. Another funny highlight involves the Gingerbread Man and Pinocchio rescuing our heroes from prison … which forces Pinocchio to reveal a little secret about his choice of clothing. 

    We then segue into one of my all-time favorite climaxes of any animated picture I’ve ever seen … and it still thrills me all these years later. Shrek and friends create a giant Gingerbread Man to lead the assault on the castle, in their effort to rescue the princess from our nasty pair of villains. 

Not only is this set-piece imaginative … not only is it a funny wink at “Ghostbusters” … not only is it boasted by a rousing musical number … but I’m completely invested in the characters, and their goals. As such, this is one of those special finales that has me emotionally engaged, laughing-out-loud at the hummer, and exhilarated by the action all at once. 

As a side note, I already loved the song of choice … and yet, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cover of “Holding out for a Hero” that can match Jennifer Saunders version in this film. Everything wraps-up perfectly, as Fionna and Shrek find peace in their proper Ogre forms. Just like before, “Shrek 2” closes out on a big musical number, and I once again feel it hits the first film out of the water with an extremely up-beat closing song. Again, “Livin’ La Vida Loca” was already a song I was familiar with, but I still have yet to hear a version that’s brought me more joy than this version performed by “Eddie Murphy & Antonio Banderas”. It’s colorful, it's up-beat, it fills me with cheer, and it’s one of my favorite closing song-numbers of any animated picture I’ve seen.

   Truthfully, this is one of those movies that’s only gotten better over the years, and still has a secure spot as one of my all-time favorite animated movies. Naturally, “Shrek 2” was nominated at the Oscars for Best Animated Picture, but it lost that year to Pixar’s “The Incredibles” … which I suppose is fair, as that’s a good movie too … but speaking personally, I’d never put “The Incredibles” above my feelings for “Shrek 2”. 

It’s hands-down my favorite in the goofy “Shrek” series, as the casting is perfect, the jokes are hilarious, and it’s the one film in which the characters just feel the strongest, and most appealing to me. It also has my favorite ensemble of outstanding new supporting characters to join in the fun, with Puss in Boots mainly stealing the show. The animation is great, the story is sweet, romantic, and best of all … this really is one of the funniest animated family films under the sun. “Shrek 2” is simply one of my favorite sequels to an animated picture, as it not only compliments the first, but can stand apart on its own, and debatably is superior … it certainly is in my view!

Thanks for reading my review of the 2004 animated picture “Shrek 2” … and continue to enjoy the movies you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment