Thursday, May 27, 2021

Rocky (1976) (Movie Review)

  When it comes to the categories of both Drama’s and Sports movies, the 1976 classic “Rocky” is one of the absolute best. Of course, the movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture, but some would go even further, to label this movie as one of the all-time great motion-picture classics, which is fair, although I personally wouldn’t call this one of my top favorites like others would. Unlike other classic movie Drama’s that rank among my personal favorite movies, like “12 Angry Men”, “The Shawshank Redemption”, and “To Kill a Mockingbird”, “Rocky” is a movie I need to be in a proper mind-set to sit-down and enjoy actively viewing. It’s kind of a curious case in which I love the movie more when I think back on it, and the feelings it left me with, as opposed to actually watching it. It’s not a common case for me, as I’m the kind of guy who loves to watch a variety of different films, but sometimes the feelings a movie leaves me with are stronger than the viewing experience … and “Rocky”, for whatever reason, is one of those films.     

  Small-town, down-on-his-luck boxer Rocky Balboa is arbitrarily chosen to take on the running heavyweight champion, but can this nobody rise to the challenge, and become a somebody? As he prepares for the big fight, he also pursues a relationship with a shy pet-store owner named Adrian, which gives the character more of an emotional anchor. It implies that if everything goes wrong, he has this human support, one that will show him that boxing isn’t his sole reason for getting up in the morning. Also supporting him along the journey is a grouchy boxing coach named Mickey, who wants to see this champ arise to something meaningful. While the plot of “Rocky” is formulaic, and admittedly predictable, it’s down to earth tone, air-tight script, relatable characters, and an iconic leading performance from Sylvester Stallone all add-up to a solid piece of work. It’s just a simple story of a man trying to concur a dream, and in the end, it’s not about emerging triumphant … it’s simply about giving it you’re all, and never backing down from the odds.

  When it comes to a conventional “hero archetype”, I’m always drawn to the underdog the most. The hero’s that rise to the challenge, the ones that face all odds, and for me, Rocky will always be the panicle underdog hero. This is one case in which it’s the lead character that I love more than the overall film. Rocky is that person who always spoke to me, about how an everyday man can go above and beyond. Sylvester Stallone is just so humble and sincere in the role, and so much of it comes from the actor. Stallone of course wrote the screen play, and has said that he couldn’t have made the character of Rocky without a life-time personal experience to draw influence from. While many look back on Stallone as one of those macho-action hero’s, I think they miss how there’s more wisdom and humbleness to the talent then his action movie status would suggest. It’s something that’s captured effectively in this early performance, and at the Oscars, he was rightfully nominated for best actor in his portrayal of Rocky … personally, I think he should have won. Honestly, it’s almost impossible for me not to love this character, as he continues to inspire me to do more with myself, to break out, and make a difference. Even if it’s something small, Rocky has always encouraged me to stick to my passions, and follow them through to the end. 

  Along with the main lead, I think this movie has one of the best ensembles of memorable characters. Talia Shire manages to say a lot in role of Adrien, even though the character speaks very little, and it got her a nomination at the Oscars for best actress in a leading role. 

Burgess Meredith basically steals every scene he’s in as the grumpy trainer Mickey, and delivers the most quotable lines in the film … “Like the guy says, you’re going to eat lightning, and you’re going to crap thunder!”. It’s one of Burgess Meredith’s most famous roles, and naturally, he also received an Oscar nomination for best actor in a supporting role. Not to be overlooked is Rocky’s best friend Paulie, who’s the most emotionally unstable character in the film, as he’s always switching between being the underdogs biggest supporter, to being his biggest doubter. He too is played effectively by Burt Young, and wouldn’t you know it, he too received an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor in this film. Rounding up the cast is Rocky’s appoint named Apollo, who’s played effectively by Carl Weathers. Despite being the antagonist, and clearly having an ego, he feels grounded in this first film, and it’s appreciated. Although, while every character is perfect in this first film, Apollo is that one character I’d come to love more over the course of the series, as we see all the different peaks and vales he goes through.

  The next talent who needs to be addressed is director John G. Avildsen, who’s vision of the film compliments Stallone’s screen-play like bread and butter. He gives the movie a very quiet, slow-moving, yet humble, and absorbing approach. It’s kind of a double edge sword for me, and is the main reason I need to be in a proper mind-set to appreciate this movie. While technically well made, the experience overall can feel a little slow, and sometimes boring to watch … that is, if I’m not in the right state of mind to appreciate it’s grounded and absorbing atmosphere. Obviously, putting my feelings aside, Avildsen’s approach to the film was the right choice, as it effectively characterized the film, and it paid-off in the long run as John G. Avildsen's work on "Rocky" won him the Academy Award for Best Director. Richard Halsey and Scott Conrad also won the Academy Award for Best Editing, and there were two other nominations for best sound design, and best original screen play by Stallone. The last talent who needs to be addressed is music composer Bill Conti, who’s score for “Rocky” is one of the great classics, as it cared the passionate drive of the film, and again received the Oscar nomination for best original music score.

  Even though this isn’t one of my personal favorite movies, it does feature one of my all-time favorite individual scenes every put to film, in which Rocky’s intense training is propelled into one of the most famous workout montages that cinema has ever known. Set to the Oscar nominated Original Song “Gonna Fly Now”, we see the champ push himself to the limit, as he barrels down the streets of Philadelphia, and reaches his destination on the septs of the city’s art museum. 

This scene was effectively built-up earlier, as we saw Rocky jogging, and got too exhausted to reach the top of the steps … but now things have changed. The overall theme of the movie is rising up to the challenge, building yourself up to accomplish the impossible, and this one moment with Rocky finally making it to the top of the steps perfectly captures the theme of the film. It’s an unforgettable image, and whenever he turns to the rising sun and raises his hands up triumphantly … it leaves me with a special feeling that few other scenes do. Obviously, it’s symbolic of his status, going from the top to the bottom, and every day you can see people in Philadelphia running up those same steps, raising their arms up in the air just to capture that same triumphant feeling that Rocky demonstrated to us. It’s one of those select moments that always springs into my subconscious whenever I accomplish something that seemed impossible. Like I said, it’s one of my favorite scenes ever put to film, and it continues to leave an impression on viewers all these years later.   

    It’s also worth noting that, despite fitting the category of a sports movie, there really isn’t much Boxing until the very end of the film. This threw me off when I first saw the movie as a teenager, as I was expecting more matches, but I quickly appreciated the films narrative choice, and how I was connecting to the characters before the big showdown. The climactic boxing match is brutal and exhilarating, yet it is that emotional connection established that really propels this fight into one of the greats. Quick spoiler warning, but I feel it’s worth mentioning the outcome. In a case of brilliant righting, Rocky doesn’t actually win the match, yet it still feels like a victory, as we saw him push himself to the limit, he never backed down once, and when he’s lovingly embraced by Adrien, it’s clear that the champ has everything … and the outcome of the match doesn’t matter. It’s brilliant, and one of those finales that just leaves me feeling good all over. Without question, even though it’s not my overall favorite battle in the series, it is my favorite ending by far.  

    In the end, watching this movie goes through many varying peaks and vales, as it can be profound and depressing, but also uplifting and powerful all at once. While not consistently fun to view, it’s the driving heart at the center of this film that makes it so captivating. Whether you take this film seriously or not, it’s never the less a movie that can always pick me up, and give me that extra confidence to push through some of my own personal struggles. More than anything, it’s the character that continues to inspire me to make the most of myself … to break out … push myself … and make a difference in my own simple way. Throw in an iconic music score, a solid supporting cast, and you've got a classic that not only deserved it's Best Picture trophy, but is highly recommendable for anyone to see whether their sports fans or not.

Thanks for reading my review of the classic 1976 Drama “Rocky” … and continue to enjoy the movies you love!


No comments:

Post a Comment