Thursday, June 10, 2021

The Greatest Showman (2017) (Movie Review)

  Back in 2016, a little movie musical titled “La La Land” made a huge name for itself, was a financial success, received universal critical acclaims, and won more Oscars at the 89th Academy Awards than any other movie that year … almost stole the Best Picture award from “Moonlight”, making for one of the greatest blunders in Oscar history. As for me, when I saw “La La Land”, I felt somewhat indifferent to the film. The critical part of my mind saw it for the great movie it’s been praised as, but it just didn’t make any kid of special connection with me either. I wasn’t really thinking about the film afterword’s, and I didn’t even remember the songs all that well. 

In the following year of 2017, the complete opposite thing happened with another musical titled “The Greatest Showman”, which was clearly trying to replicate the same success of “La La Land”. While “The Greatest Showman” was a commercial success, and favored well with audiences, this musical seemed to get the opposite treatment of its predecessor, with mixed reviews from critics, and was virtually snubbed at the Oscars, with only a single nomination. Once again, I found myself at the opposite side of the coin, as I not only loved the film, but it’s gradually joined the ranks of my favorite movie musicals. Again, the critic side of my brain was noticing the faults in which “The Greatest Showman” has been criticized for, and despite it all, this musical still made that special connection I was hoping to get, yet failed to take away from “La La Land”. I can’t figure it out, all I can do is express my feelings, and review a far from perfect movie … that still left a special impression on me.

    Set in the early 1800’s, P.T. Barnum displays a natural talent for publicity and promotion. After trying his hand at various jobs, P.T. turns to show business to indulge his limitless imagination … as well as con some spectators out of a shiny coin. Despite his low upbringing, he rises-up to create Barnum & Bailey circus, with the main attraction being a group of show performers who have abnormal appearances. Initially, his only motivation for his façades and production was to support in struggling family, but as his popularity and attention grows, P.T. finds himself swept-up in the world of high-society, leaving both his family and circus performers behind in his shadow. 


  Now, its a matter of seeing weather this con-man can find his way back to the people who mattered most in his life, before all the attention goes to his head. Let’s first get the obvious out of the way … the movie basically portrays Barnum as a rebel who gradually losses his way to the glamor of a rich man’s world, and goes on a journey of reformation. In researching the real P.T. Barnum, his actual use and abuse of the side-show performers to make him money was far more disturbing, along with a number of other questionable things … like poaching whales, and bizarre animal surgery. This musical mostly sidelines the darker historical context surrounding the person in favor of an admittedly cheesy, and more lighthearted movie going experience. I’ll freely concede that from a story telling perspective, the film could have dived deeper into both his real-life story, and complex subject material … but with all that said … as an original, modern day movie musical … “The Greatest Showman” is absolutely smashing!

   This movie is blissfully content with it’s up-beat tone, presentation, and it’s clearly invoking a feel of classic golden age musicals … right down to opening with the classic old 20th Century Fox logo. Back in the day … namely the 1940’s and especially the 50’s, Musicals were simply meant as an escape from the hardships and fears outside. As such, many older musicals thrived on really cheesy tones and presentations. The Greatest Showmanis the same, as it goes for the Cheese, and invites the audience to dig in. One thing I can’t stand about most movies these days is that they’re indecisive in tone, trying to please multiple crowds, and as a result, it’s a messy experience. As such, I love that “The Greatest Showman” knows what it wants to be, picks its tone, a personality, and fearlessly commits to it all the way. There’s a song near the opening titled “A Million Dreams”, which shows the struggles of Barnum as a kid, and while most of what’s shown on screen is dramatic, it’s still an upbeat, cheerful song number, and closes on a positive image. Right from this sequence, I kind of knew exactly what this film was going for, and I just surrendered to what it had to offer. On a quick side note, I love this little moment just before the song, in which young Barnum gets a girl to chuckle while she’s sipping tea, and it just had me laughing and smiling all over. 

   The cast likewise is just as committed, delivering highly energized performances, and are clearly having fun on the set. Leading the charge is Hugh Jackman, who embraces his showman role, and returns to his early Broadway roots, when he did stage performances for a career. 

While he’s acted in movie musicals like the 2012 film “Les Miserables”, that was still more of a dramatic performance on his part, where as his portrayal of P.T. Barnum looked and felt like a nostalgic return to form, and he absolutely carries the film with his signature charm. I suppose there’s some reservations for the young couple played by Zac Efron and Zendaya, as both their characters weren’t based on historical people and were largely just conjured-up to appeal to the younger demographic. While they do feel like add-ons, I don’t feel they spoil anything … in fact, most of their scenes are genuinely nice. 

Their romantic duet titled “Re-Write the Stars” is absolutely delightful, as well as brilliantly staged. There’s another great musical duet between Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman in a bar titled “To the Other Side”, which is highly catchy and enjoyable. Also, I grew-up with the movie musical “Hairspray” way back in the day, and it was just nice to see a grown Zac Efron in a new musical. Zendaya likewise has always been a welcome talent, and truthfully, I could have used a little more of her. Rebecca Ferguson also stands out in her portrayal of the antagonistic Jenny Lind, and while the story around her again is mostly fictionalized, it’s still engaging within the context of the film. Her solo number titled “Never Enough” is a stirring highlight that makes me forget she’s kind of an antagonist. Everyone else from Barnum’s family, to the snobby critic, to the circus performers are all perfectly casted, and each light up the screen in their own distinct way.

     Speaking of lighting up the screen … this is one of the best-looking musicals I’ve ever seen. The way it’s shot, colored, edited and staged is absolutely electrifying. It’s simply a dazzling presentation on display, with constant energy, non-stop movement, graceful camera work, and edits that match with the music beats perfectly. It’s even more impressive that this was Michael Gracey’s very first time directing a movie, but he tackles this like someone who’s been doing it for years. As soon as the movie opens with the rousing musical number “This is the Greatest Show”, I’m instantly hooked, and consistently ridding the high from there. The song itself is one of my new favorite musical numbers, and after all this time … it’s still dancing around in my head. Another infectiously catchy number is the triumphantly up-beat “From Now On”, which never fails to lift my spirit. Of course, I can’t forget the Oscar nominated song “This Is Me”, which is exceptionally uplifting, and in my personal opinion should have won the Academy Award. It goes without saying that this is all around one of my favorite song compilations from any musical, and not only did the album receive positive reviews, but sold over 7 million copies worldwide … hard-copies mind you … in our digital age. Just about every theatrical musical from this century will contain maybe one or two original songs, while the rest are lifted from an already popular stage production. “The Greatest Showman” has nine original songs, each of them excellent, and each hit a landing with me as a new favorite of some category.

    Now, can the film get a little too cheesy, or self-indulgent at times ... yeah ... in fact, it can be downright ridiculous. For instance, Barnum ridding an elephant to his daughters ballet show was a bit much. In the end, this movie is far from perfect … but it doesn’t need to be, because as a musical alone … it meets my expectations perfectly … and then gives me more. It brought me back to when I saw the movie musical “Moulin Rouge” for the first time, which likewise wasn’t perfect, but there was simply something about its atmosphere, its visual splendor, and its song selection that made me fall in love with it regardless. “The Greatest Showman” for me is no different, as I love the songs, it’s relentlessly stunning to look at, and it’s now landed with me as one of my new favorite movie musicals.

Thanks for reading my review of “The Greatest Showman” … and continue to enjoy the movies you love!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment