Thursday, November 3, 2011

2011 – My Theatrical Movie Experiences Ranked

   Around this time, I commonly see online-reviewers ranking their top 10 favorite and least favorite movies of the year. For the longest time I’ve wanted to do something similar, as I find it a nice way to put a cap on the year and look back on all the highs and lows that came before. However, I typically don’t see new movies until they come out on home video, or instant streaming, and as a result, I honestly don’t go to the movies that often … that is unless it’s something special. Usually, I reserve the theater for new installments in a favorite franchise, or something relative to a season, or superhero movies, etc. The thought then came to me, why not just rank every theatrical movie I’ve seen this year, from my own personal least favorite, to absolute favorite … I think that’ll work. I’ll only be ranking the movies I saw in the theater, which means some other really good (and bad) films from 2011 won’t make the countdown. Also, these will be ranked by my feelings on them, not on how objectively good they are. I saw 7 movies in total, and here's my personal ranking of each one from least to favorite.

 

#7 “Puss in Boots” 



My favorite character from the “Shrek” series finally gets a nice little stand-alone adventure, and while it doesn't live up to its full potential, it at least has some genuine charms, most notably the fun banter between Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek in their respected lead roles. It certainly doesn’t pack the same laughs, or even charm of the early “Shrek” movies, but I’ll still take this for what it is … a disposable, yet enjoyable family venture.     

 





#6 “Thor” 



Full of beautiful visual effects, an epic mythical scope, a fine amount of humor, and a very talented cast … that's more than enough to make "Thor" a worthwhile comic book movie. On that note, it was also refreshing to get a Marvel movie that felt more like a mystical fantasy, rather than just another Superhero outing.   

 







#5 “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” 



After decades of being buried, the Apes franchise accomplishes the unthinkable, and breathes new life into this time-tested franchise. While most will still call the original the absolute best … I personally liked this one more. More than anything, I love that, while this film has its share of impressive special effects, this doesn’t feel like an average Summer Blockbuster. It’s just very well constructed, delivers a rich warning on the dangers of science, and it isn’t so one-sided with hero’s facing villains. It’s truthfully my favorite of the series thus far, as it sets-up the story very well, there’s genuine emotion on display, and still no shortage of engaging action.     

 



#4 “Captain America: The First Avenger” 



A nifty script with a retro vibe + a cast of colorful characters + some thrilling and explosive action = a very satisfying and enjoyable superhero movie. Just like how “Thor” felt like a welcome departure from being just another Superhero movie, Captain America’s film debut harkens back to classic adventure movies, and makes for a most refreshing escape. Even with it’s exciting teas for an upcoming Avengers team-up, this film can stand on it’s own as one of the best superhero origins I’ve seen in a while.   

 




#3 “The Help” 



Typically I go to the theater for escapist Blockbuster entertainment, but sometimes I want to see something that’s genuinely good, and impactful. “The Help” is a captivating Drama, focusing on racial themes, yet offers just enough levity to balance out the experience. More then anything, this film is electrified by an excellent cast, who make every emotion and charm feel as human as possible. It may not be my absolute favorite movie of the year, but it certainly has my vote for Best Picture.

 




#2 “X-Men: First Class” 

Combining the smart and competent writing of the first two X-Men movies with the massive, explosive and action-packed tones of the ladder two films make "First Class" a rare fifth installment that manages to surpass all of its predecessors. Without question, this is one of my favorite Superhero team origin stories ever captured on film, and helped breath life back into a dying franchise. It also features some of the best individual emotional highlights of the series, with performances that really hit it out of the park. The ensemble cast is personally my favorite of any X-Men movie, the energy is high, there’s great style in the direction, and there’s a rewarding sense of fun to the whole experience. Seriously, I was losing hope in this franchise, but this movie grabbed me, shook me up and down, and reminded me why X-Men is one of my favorite fandom's.         

 

#1 “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2” 

I couldn’t have asked for a better send-off to a beloved film series, especially one that’s had me hooked for over a decade. Harry Potter has a secure spot as one of my favorite long running franchises, and it went out on a high note. It’s magical, epic, action packed, powerfully acted, and ties all loose ends together so nicely. It's actually on par with "Star Wars 6: Return of the Jedi" as one of my favorite final chapters of all time. I can’t think of anything else that needs to be addressed, just see the movie for yourself, because I can’t do it justice. If you’re a big fan of the “Harry Potter” series, I think you’ll be perfectly satisfied with this epic, powerful, emotional, magical, and all-around stunning conclusion to the timeless “Harry Potter” series.

So, concludes 2011 … and may the thrill of the theater stick-around next year. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment