Friday, December 9, 2016

2016 – My Theatrical Movie Experiences Ranked

   Despite the growing success of online-streaming, I still savor my experiences in the theater, and those are the movie events I want to look back on. So, here’s my personal ranking of all the 2021 movies I saw in the theater this year, which means some other really good (and bad) films from 2021 won’t make the countdown. Again, this is my own personal opinion, these films aren’t ranked by the quality of the picture, but simply by how each left their impression on me. I saw 13 movies in total, and here's my personal ranking of each one from least to favorite.

 

#13 Finding Dory 

While this film can’t escape the feeling of being a pointless and admittedly even forgettable sequel, I still find it better than it had any right to be. The beauty of the ocean world is still present, the characters are still enduring, and the emotional moments are all still there. Yet, for some reason, this film just didn’t stick a perfect landing for me. It was good, and kids will probably have more fun with this film, but that’s just it. While there are some touching highlights, this sequel seems to favor goofy antics and cartoony visuals over the mature tone and heart of the first movie. Still, this was a welcome reunion with some of my favorite Pixar characters, just not one that holds as much water as others.

 #12 La La Land 

I love when a musical can win over both audiences and critics, especially in our over saturated superhero age … I like it even more when I can be on board with the crowd. While by no means a bad movie, I just found “La La Land” to be a perfectly okay movie experience, with solid leading performances, enjoyably staged dances, and an excellent message that encourages viewers to follow their dreams and their passions. The one thing keeping me from really loving this film are unfortunately the songs … as I just didn’t find any of them especially memorable or catchy. Despite not caring much for the songs, this was still a perfectly good musical, and one that I’d encourage viewers to check out. 

#11 Deadpool 

If you’re not a fan of really rude, overly violent, and needlessly sexual humor, you should probably skip this film entirely. However, if you like extremely clever, forth wall breaking comic book satire, interjected with lots of style, and charismatic performances, then "Deadpool" will entertain the living crap out of you! As for me personally ... I'm caught somewhere between the two extremes. I for one have personally never been a fan of the Deadpool character, and as such, even though his movie was executed correctly, it’s just not going to resonate with me as much. Still, a fun movie, and I love how it worked smaller X-Men characters like Colossus into the picture. 


#10 Risen 

I feel the Easter season is all the more fulfilling with a Christ centered story, and it’s about time we got a movie focusing on both his Resurrection and Assentation back into Heaven. In many respects, it’s the spiritual sequel to 2004’s “The Passion of the Christ”, and it’s nice to get that progression of the story. While the look and feel of the movie is honestly on par with a high budget TV production, it still delivers a meaningful message, it’s well acted, and hits all the important notes I look for in a biblical movie.  

 



#9 Kung Fu Panda 3 

While I've never called myself a fan of this particular trilogy, I've still liked and enjoyed every film that came from the Kung Fu Panda series, and this final instalment is no exception. Mixing beautiful animation and fast comedy with classic philosophy and honest moral substance … "Kung Fu Panda 3" is another great DreamWorks sequel and gives meaningful closure to the series.

 





#8 Doctor Strange 

While Marvel’s cinematic universe threatens to buckle under the weight of too-many-movies … they at least keep themselves afloat thanks to genuinely strong films, and “Doctor Strange” is no exception. Artistically brilliant, visually arresting, highly imaginative, and held together with a strong leading performance, "Doctor Strange" effectively brings the fantasy genera into Marvels cinematic universe with style, flare, and no shortage of dazzling imagery.

 



#7 Zootopia 

The initial trailers for this movie drove me nuts, and I didn’t really have any interest in seeing it. Thankfully, count on Disney to pull one out of the hat, and treat me to a surprise that I didn’t see coming. At first glance, the film obviously looks great, with likable animal characters occupying the screen, and there’s no shortage of really funny moments. However, when you look even closer, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that there’s a lot more substance and rich thematic concepts to this film then it’s marketing would suggest. It’s thoughtful, timely, not always predictable, and features a winning pair of memorable new Disney characters.    

#6 The Magnificent Seven 

As with any modern remake of a classic film … there’s no reason for it to exist … but thankfully, this was a welcomed case in which I found the remake was able to stand on its own as a genuinely engaging western, and helped breath some life into a genera that’s struggling to stay alive. The cast worked great, with a welcome variety of different ethnicities, and each player held my interest in their own distinctly charismatic way. The western style shootouts were equally electrifying, and the cinematography was gorgeous. While obviously not superior to the original … this is one remake I feel I can safely put in the category of “good”, and it’s all around a welcome western for our contemporary age.   


#5 Star Trek Beyond 

The third entry of the new reboot series gives us a fast-paced adventure set on a planet for once, which is a refreshing change of pace, and allows for some gorgeous scenery. This is arguably the best-looking Star Trek movie sense “Insurrection” back in 1998. Aside from all the visual appeal and spectacular action, this film really stays true to its roots, pays respect to the characters, and is just a wonderful love letter to the legacy of this 50-year-old franchise. The banter and interactions between the cast are some of the most enjoyable to date, and new characters like Jaila help breathe some new life into the film. 


#4 X-Men Apocalypse 

The current conclusion to the "First Class" films sends the series off in a spectacular blaze of epic superhero glory, show casing one of the comics most iconic villains, character depth, the welcome return of old characters now played by young new talents, resonant themes and a final battle that I'll be remembering as one of the franchises shining moments. Visually, this film looks and feels the most like an X-Men comic or cartoon brought to life in live-action, and it’s the one I find myself simply enjoying the most. Granted, the plot is straightforward and by the numbers, but for me, it’s executed with flair, energy, great performances, some well-placed comedy, and it just makes for a highly entertaining, and explosive venture with my favorite heroes. 


#3 Moana 

Here’s a Disney movie that combines everything I love into one highly entertaining animated experience. It has great music, the atmosphere of its magical setting is consistently enticing, and even the moral was very meaningful without shoving the message down your throat. Of course, Moana herself just seemed to combine all the best Disney princess into one perfect package, while still feeling like an original character who could stand apart from the crowd. All in all, I loved this film, and love it more with repeated viewings. While I also loved previous 3D princess movies like “Tangled” and “Frozen”, this one just really got to me, and felt special. I’d easily put “Moana” among Disney’s best Princess offerings, in fact it’s now my personal favorite, and considering how big their lineup has been … that’s really saying something. 


#2 Rouge One: A Star Wars Story 

The first standalone Star Wars anthology movie hits all the right notes, expands upon the universe, breaks the narrative formula while still staying rooted in familiar grounds, thrills us with one of the franchises most epic finales, and has the courage to deliver one of the franchises most emotionally impactful endings. Despite a rough first act, “Rouge One” not only delivers, it opens the door for countless new possibilities. Beyond the film’s spectacle, it's the over arcing themes of "Hope" and "Sacrifice" that make this one of my favorite entries in the franchise. It was a film with the courage to break away from the familiar, and delivered a poignant statement without skimping on some first-rate action and excitement.


#1 Captain America: Civil War 

Once again, the Avengers assemble … only to disassemble! This is what you call a truly "great" Superhero movie, as it abandons the common hero movie formula, and cliched super villains for a real down to earth story that's laird with subtext, moral debates, conflicting rivals between close friends … yet, it still allows the audience to have fun, thanks to some well-placed comedy, and striking visuals. Throw in some welcome new comers, including the long-awaited appearance of Spider-Man, and one of the most epic hero brawls ever featured on film, and "Civil War" stands as a benchmark among comic book movies!  

    

So, concludes 2016 … and may the thrill of the theater stick-around next year. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment