Thursday, December 27, 2018

2018: My Theatrical Movies Ranked


   Despite the growing success of online-streaming, I still savor my experiences in the theater, and those are the movie events I want to look back on. So, here’s my personal ranking of all the 2021 movies I saw in the theater this year, which means some other really good (and bad) films from 2021 won’t make the countdown. Again, this is my own personal opinion, these films aren’t ranked by the quality of the picture, but simply by how each left their impression on me. I saw 12 movies in total, so let's have fun looking back on some of what 2018 had to offer ...  


#12 The House with a Clock in its Walls  


Ever sense the conclusion of the original “Harry Potter” film series, I’ve been waiting for the next great fantasy film based on a rich source material. Strait to the point, I had high hopes for “The House with a Clock in its Walls”, to be that next magical experience … and for me ... it wasn’t. While certainly not a terrible movie, there was just nothing about the experience that stuck with me. It all just felt like paint by number fantasy mayhem for little kids. I didn’t feel submersed in the world, I didn’t find much intrigue in the characters, the jokes came off as laugh free, and the story was all too easy to predict. 








#11 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom  


To this day, 2015’s “Jurassic World” is the only “Jurassic Park” sequel that’s really worked for me. While it obviously was not on par with the original, it did still manage to hold its own, and I found it better then average. “Fallen Kingdom” on the other hand is about as average as they get. There was admittedly just enough Dino excitement and genuine fun that it passed for a mild diversion, but nothing meaningful stuck with me either. It’s a case of “I had fun once, and quietly forgot about it the next day”. So, not completely terrible, but certainly forgettable, and that’s something that even the weakest of the previous films never sank to. Sadly, it’s the first JP sequel that I felt had absolutely nothing new to offer.   






#10 The Grinch  


I’ve loved the Grinch my whole life, it’s one of my absolute favorite Christmas tales, and much like “A Christmas Carol”, I’m always open to a new version of the story. With an added CGI makeover, this film version explodes with color, warm holiday designs, and manages to keep the spirit of its source material alive, despite not adding too much new to it. While the film suffers from a lot of padding, it still delivered the goods, gave the principle characters a new spin, and it had its emotional highlights that were refreshingly different from the previous film versions. In short, this latest version of “The Grinch” wasn’t mandatory, but it was still delightful, and just the thing to put me in the Christmas spirit.





#9 Black Panther  


After his thrilling debut in “Civil War”, The Black Panther proves more than capable to hold his own film, not just because of the characters internal struggles, but also the struggles of the main villain. The setting is also a very captivating one, with an intriguing cultural mythology at the center, and no shortage of absorbing imagery. However, while this was all around a solid film, I just can’t say I was enraptured by it the same way many others were. My only real issue is that the story was just a little too familiar to me, and the special effects were hit and miss. Still, those were only mild problems with an all-around satisfying new superhero film.






#8 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween  


While Goosebumps in general was a staple of my child hood, I found the first movie to be okay at best, but very forgettable. As such, I liked it’s 2018 sequel just a hair more, as it mainly put the focus on my favorite holiday, and it made for an exceptionally decorative Halloween film to watch in October. I’m just easy to please in that regard. The villain Slappy was also a highlight in the first film, and thankfully he has an even bigger role in this movie. Even the main character had an arc that hit close to home in a simple but genuine way. I’m probably not going to make a tradition of annually re-watching either of these Goosebumps films around Halloween, but this sequel was at least an entertaining, monster filled, October adventure, which is good enough for me ... and will be worth returning to every couple seasons.  


#7 Deadpool 2  

Truthfully, the “X-Men” franchise is my personal favorite long running film series, and I’m always excited for a new one, even if the film itself doesn’t excite me. Then again, it gives me the chance to be pleasantly surprised. I for one have some issues reserved for the Deadpool character and his foul sense of hummer, but I'm not going to pretend that "Deadpool 2" wasn't a fun time at the movies either, largely thanks to Ryan Reynolds infectious charm, a strong cast of colorful new side characters, white knuckled action, and no shortage of fan-serves and in-jokes for us long time readers of the X-Men comics. Heck, the film even got to my emotions a little, which I never would have expected from a character as goofy as this. While I didn’t go crazy for the first “Deadpool” movie, I’m happy to say that its sequel was a pleasant little escape, and one that’s held up for home viewings. 

#6 Ralph Breaks the Internet  


Here, in my opinion is one of those special animated sequels that's a decent follow-up to the first, takes the characters in a new direction, and the result is yet another solid Disney movie. The animation, comedy and creativity are cranked up to 10, but there’s also great subtext, morals, heartfelt moments, and it’s just this perfect package of delightful, yet meaningful. Throw in a highly entertaining merger of all the Disney Princesses, a break out musical number in the form of “The Slaughter Race Song”, along with a deeply touching ending, and it makes for an animated experience that not only measures up to the first, but it’s just plain wholesome family entertainment. I certainly liked the first movie more, but I think this sequel fits comfortably behind it.    



#5 Ant-Man and the Wasp  


Marvels first partnering of a hero and heroine soars … largely thanks to its smaller, character driven stakes, but more to the point is that this "Ant-Man" sequel takes full advantage of its wild shrinking/growing concept. It gives us the creative action set-pieces, imaginative realms, as well as some welcome new twists, and no regrets for going overboard with its comedic potentials. Truthfully, it’s everything I wanted from a sequel to a really good superhero film, and speaking personally … I once again thought this was even better then the first.








#4 
Solo: A Star Wars Story  


It’s hard for me not to get excited for a new "Star Wars" movie on some level, and for the longest time, and in all honesty … I’ve always wanted to just go on a simple adventure with a young Han Solo. Behind the scenes, this film was a production nightmare, but I sincerely felt that it turned out much stronger then it had any right to be. The cast was charming, the action fun, the tone consistent, and for me, it just felt like the right film the franchise needed. Ever sense “The Empire Strikes Back”, I felt that every single installment was trying to be the next “absolute best” in the series, while “Solo” is content to just be a small, yet perfectly good film, and for that … I genuinely found myself loving this one.  





#3 First Man  


The Apollo 11 is one of my favorite events in our modern-day history, and it’s a topic I’ve been fascinated with ever sense I first learned of it way back when I was in Middle School. In this film based on the historic event, it focuses solely on the personal struggles and triumphs of Neil Armstrong leading up to the mission. Personally, I thought this was an admirable direction, and it made for an engaging viewing experience. While I can be easily entertained by flashing spectacle, and super-heroes, I’m also enticed by movies that convey a little slice of life. Ryan Gosling shines in the leading role and the experience overall was a very rewarding and emotional journey.   






#2 Avengers: Infinity War  

Weather you’re a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe or not, there’s no denying that it’s one of the most colossal, expanded franchises ever to hit the theater, and “Infinity War” was the highly anticipated event that several prior films have been building up to. I’m thankful to say that the wait was worth it, as this sequel surpassed my expectations, and in my view is one of the absolute best of the series … like top 3 easily … actually, it might just be my new #1 favorite. With the largest roll-call of hero's thus far, and an all-out war taking place in several locations, we fans knew this was going to be a spectacle, but there's thankfully so much more to the experience than just the spectacle. Our favorite hero’s felt more vulnerable, and subsequently more human than most previous films. There were also several genuine surprises along the way, and considering this franchises line up, it’s challenging to get surprised. All-around, “Infinity War” was a mega Superhero sensation in every respect of the word, with the highest stakes yet, the grandest ensemble cast, hilarious team interplay, large scale battles, emotional character drama, and a villain to be remembered through the ages.

#1 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse  

I really wasn't expecting to like any superhero movie more then "Infinity War" ... but then came a spider who proved me wrong. Even when Spider-Man movies were at their worst, I’ve always enjoyed them on some level, but none of them could match 2004’s “Spider-Man 2”, which for the longest time was my absolute favorite. Then completely out of the blue comes this animated Spider-Man movie, the first of its kind, a completely original experience with the web-swinger, and it gives my initial favorite some competition. It’s a film that combines bold, human storytelling, with striking animation, solid voice work, and an infectiously lovable cast of various Spider-Man characters, which all add up to a highly entertaining superhero venture. It absolutely delivers all the heart, comedy, action, and a lot of imagination into a perfect whole. While I went into "Infinity War" expecting to like it, this was something unique that got me off-guard, and made a lasting impression as one of my new ... all-time favorite superhero movies.


That concludes my recap of theatrical movies through 2018, and all around, I thought it was a great year. Most films lived up to my expectations, and there were some pleasant surprises, with both "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" securely landing spots as two of my newest favorite movies. Let’s see what 2019 has to offer next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment