Thursday, July 11, 2019

Disney’s The Jungle Book (1967) (Movie Review)



     Earlier this year, I reviewed Disney’s live action 1994 film titled “Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book”. In that post, I noted that all my child hood fondness for “The Jungle Book” began with that movie, as I was somewhere between three and four years old. While it admittedly strayed from the source material, it’s still my favorite movie to bare the title. Truthfully, it wasn’t until years later, around the age of seven or eight that I discovered Disney’s more famous 1967 animated classic “The Jungle Book”. No joke, whenever someone mentioned Disney’s “The Jungle Book”, I always thought they were talking about the live action 90’s film. Well, I eventually came around to watching the animated original, and … even though I liked it back when I was a kid, I always found it a little underwhelming. There were certainly things I loved in the film, namely some of the characters, as well as some catchy tunes, but the experience just never stuck with me as anything really special either. Looking back as an adult … I still find it a mostly okay film, but I did discover more things I liked about it then I did as a kid. This was the studio’s 19th animated picture, and it’s often cited as the last film to receive Walt Disney’s personal touch before his untimely passing. Because of this, “The Jungle Book” has always stood out among Disney purists as … maybe not one of the absolute best, but certainly one of the most special.

     Things start strong as the movie begins with an excellent opening credit sequence. 
As the title’s role, we get sketchy details of several locations in the jungle, including ancient ruins, and intimidating landscapes. The imagery is all set to this chillingly atmospheric music tempo, which sets the mood for a mysterious, yet exciting excursion into this Jungle setting. It’s actually the closest the film ever gets to capturing the spirit and tone of the original source material. Events take shape with an abandoned human baby, who’s discovered by a noble black panther named Bagheera. This is the kind of character who would much rather keep to his own business, but he’s got such an honest heart that he just can’t turn away from his responsibilities. While he’s not my absolute favorite character of the movie, he’s arguably the most dignified of the bunch. So, along with the aid of a pack of wolves, Bagheera raises the child into a young boy, who adorns the name Mowgli. As time goes on, Mowgli finds himself more connected to the jungle, yet his family animals know deep down that one day he’ll have to return back to his own kind. Then, the looming danger of a bloodthirsty tiger named Shere Khan escalates the need to get Mowgli back to the safety of a far-off man-village. The big issue with the plan is that Mowgli has become so attached to the jungle that he refuses to leave it, and after meeting his sergeant “papa bear” named Baloo, it makes things all the more difficult to leave.

    When compared to the original Rudyard Kipling books, this version is obviously a lot goofier, and lighter in tone. None of the dramatic themes or ideas really carry over, and it goes for a simple, cheerful experience, which is fine, but it’s almost a little too derivative for its own good. This may seem like an odd comparison, but I always felt that this version of “The Jungle Book” follows the same basic formula of “Alice in Wonderland”. 
In the case of both animated Disney films, it’s less about telling a story, and more about following a single human character on a journey through a unique setting, and have varying encounters with some colorful characters along the way. In one scene Mowgli might encounter a group of elephants lead by the pompous Colonel Hathi, and after spending some time with them, they march off and disappear from the movie altogether … as if they were never there. In another scene, Mowgli might be having a swinging party with a group of monkeys, lead by a very goofy fellow named King Louie, and when it’s done, they too disappear from the film … as if they were never there. That’s the basic layout of the film, Mowgli will be walking aimlessly through the jungle, encounter someone unique, and then he’s off walking again until he bumps into the next colorful character. In essence, Mowgli has always felt less like a character to me, and more like an avatar for the audience to inhabit, as we go on a walkabout in this colorful jungle setting, and meet all these entertaining characters. The down side is that, when compared to the aforementioned “Alice in Wonderland”, that film at least had a human child that I cared for, felt concerned for, and had an end goal I wanted to see her reach. See, when I connect with my figurative avatar, a feel the experience is all the more rewarding for it. By contrast, I never connected to Mowgli, and found him more annoying then not. 

     However, where Mowgli leaves much to be desired, his sergeant father figure Baloo completely makes up for it. Personally, along with The Genie from “Aladdin”, Baloo has a secure place in my nostalgic heart as one of my all-time favorite animated Disney characters. Aside from being the popular figurehead of the movie, he also has the most meaningful character arc in the film. Baloo is a lax, living a completely carefree life, that is … until he finds someone he genuinely cares for. Despite his careless nature, he absolutely has a heart of gold at the center, and such a positive personality as a result. There’s just something incredibly warm and optimistic about Baloo that makes him a sheer delight whenever he’s on screen. By the end of the film, while he still maintains his cheery persona, Baloo has also grown into a different person then he was in the opening. He’s someone more mature, but still just as positive and fun as ever. The real strength of Baloo is the late voice actor Phil Harris, who in my opinion was Disney’s greatest reoccurring vocal talent. Every animated Disney character voiced by Phil Harris ranks among my absolute favorites, because he had a distinct charm and style that could never be duplicated. Baloo is naturally the most famous Disney character he ever voiced, and it’s his charm and charisma that adds so much appeal to the character. Many of his lines were improvised, like when he’s training Mowgli to fight, and he playfully says “You better keep circling, or I’m going to knock your roof in one more time” ... and it’s little touches like that which make me love this character.   

   I should also note that I’ve loved Tigers my whole life, so having one as the main antagonist of this movie gives Shere Khan an easy hook as a memorable Disney villain from my childhood. While he admittedly isn’t present in the movie until the third act, he still owns every moment he’s on screen. He’s intimidating, but he doesn’t show off, and I just love how chill and laid back he is. Whenever Shere Khan engages someone, it’s always a slow burn leading into his more savage attacks, and that for me is when villains are at their best. Truthfully, my favorite moments with him are when he’s just talking with other characters. He casually smiles and nods, but you just know he’s got everything mapped out in his head, and he’s just savoring the build-up for when he makes his move. Once again, I have to give credit to the late voice actor George Sanders, who was one of the classiest actors of his decade, and his juicy talents really carry over into his vocal performance for Shere Khan. Of course, he was just fresh off of playing Mr. Freeze in the 60’s Batman series, and if you can portray my favorite Batman villain with both class and dignity, then you’re a winning choice for a villain role. 

    One thing that never clicked with me was the overall Jungle setting, as it just felt very average, especially when the opening built this place up as something really absorbing and atmospheric. Even the animation seems kind of sketchy when compared to Disney’s earlier animated offerings. For instance, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” came out over two decades earlier, yet the animation in that film still looks stunning to this day, with captivating colors and lots of detail. 
The overall design of “The Jungle Book” just never looked complete to me, with visible pencil sketches, and a fairly basic color scheme. I will say that the animation of the characters is very lively, energized, expressive, and certainly helps to keep things visually engaging. Aside from that, the films biggest appeal comes from individual highlights. My favorite scene of all is the whole segment with King Louie, as his song “I Want to be like you” is the liveliest musical number of the whole film, and it contains the best improvised lyrics from the cast. Also, the ensuing action scene with Mowgli and his friends escaping Monkey City is a lot of fun, thanks to some well-placed comedy, and it’s considerably more fast paced then most other scenes in the film. As a side note, it's hard to imagine the line-up of Jungle Book characters without King Louie, but it may surprise you to know that he was never in the original book. The monkey kidnaping Mowgli was certainly lifted from the source material, but they never had a leader. King Louie was then created as an original character for the film to give the monkeys a leader, and now it's hard to picture any Jungle Book adaption without him. Also, both the Vultures and village girl were original characters created for this film, but I'll get to them in a minuet.

    Another difference from the original book is the giant snake Kaa, who originally was one of Mowgli's closest friends and mentors, just like Baloo and Bagheera. Of course, in the Disney movie, he's changed into the secondary villain of the film, and his encounters with  Mowgli make for more enjoyable highlights. This is another memorable character, who’s both goofy and kind of a looser, yet there’s still something unnerving, and predatorial about him. His song “Trust in Me” comes off as average in presentation, but thematically it’s actually one of the darkest of all the Disney villain songs. It’s a song that highlights the creepy concept of “stranger danger”, and why kids shouldn’t be so open to excepting candy from questionable figures. Also, the visual design of Kaa is one area in which the animation of the film really shines. Of course, everyone loves to point out that Kaa is voiced by Sterling Holloway, the same talent most famous for voicing Winnie the Pooh ... which is a hilarious contrast. Actually, it gets a little surreal with Mowgli being voiced by Bruce Reitherman, the same kid who would voice Christopher Robin. Hearing those two distinct character voices in these roles just amuses me to no end, especially if you dub their lines over the Winnie the Pooh characters. Just to round up the similarities, Bagheera and subsequently the film’s opening narrator is voiced by Sebastian Cabot, who would also be the narrator of “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh”. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Disney studio kept their vocal talents stored in a closet.

   Unfortunately, it’s around the third act when the films formula gets tired, and I start losing interest. Every time Mowgli wanders into the barren lands and meets those goofy vultures, I always find myself getting bored. The location is dull, and those goofy birds are just very dated products of the time, as their clearly modeled after a barbershop quartet, and their singing just never did anything for me. Even the climactic showdown with Shere Khan is a bit of a letdown, especially with all the exciting build-up to this confrontation. It’s just a basic scuffle in this boring setting, and the fighting is no different from the goofy antics during the monkey scene, except less fun. Even Shere Khans defeat is kind of embarrassing. For as bad as the animated sequel “The Jungle Book 2” got, I could at least give that film credit for setting its climax in the ruins of an ancient temple, which made for an exciting set piece. Another little detail that always bugged me was that Bagheera wasn’t present during any of the battle, and it would have been awesome to see these two mighty jungle cats go at it. Now I do love when Bagheera arrives on scene and gives his little speech in memory of their fallen friend Baloo, who’s sneakily still alive and listening to every word. The payoff to this joke cracks me up every time, and it’s easily the highlight of the whole finale.   

    I suppose the last thing I should talk about are the songs, which in this film range from catchy and hum-able, to boring and forgettable. None of the songs provided by either the elephants (“Dawn Patrol”) or the vultures (“We’re You’re Friends”) ever stuck with me. Of course, the most famous song “Bear Necessities” is what always comes to mind when people mention “The Jungle Book”. For me, Bear Necessities is every bit as annoying as it is delightfully nostalgic, so if falls somewhere in the middle for me. Aw … who am I kidding, I still love Bear Necessities, as it puts the spotlight on my favorite character, and it’s an easy “feel good” song when your having a down day. My favorite song surprisingly is “My Own Home”, which is sung at the very end by the little village girl, who “invites” Mowgli into her tribe. It’s a beautiful, majestic melody, with kind of a haunting tempo to boot, and I just love the duality of it. It’s almost like a Siren song, luring Mowgli in, and truthfully, there’s just something about that girls stair that I never trusted. All joking aside, this is a terrific scene, and after the lackluster climax, this dose close the film on a strong final note.  

    In the end, I still have humble feelings for “The Jungle Book”, even though it’s never ranked as high on the animated Disney totem pole for me. Speaking personally, this film will always loom in the shadow of its live action 1994 remake, but this still works as its own charming experience. It still has its fun moments, at least half of the songs have stuck with me, the villains are memorable, and Baloo still ranks high as one of my absolute favorite Disney characters. I don’t know if it’s aged as a big crowd-pleas-er, at least the same way it was back in it’s day, but it still has its place in animation history, and I think it’s endured better over the years then other animated offerings of its time. While this is probably my least loved of Disney’s three jungle themed films, it’s still a solid middle of the road picture. Not exactly one of the greatest, certainly not one of the worst, but a comfortable middle ground experience.

Thanks for reading my review of Disney’s 1967 classic “The Jungle Book” ... and continue to enjoy whatever movies you Love!  


No comments:

Post a Comment