Monday, August 14, 2023

All Theatrical Ninja Turtles Movies Ranked

As far back as I can remember, my childhood love of the comic-book and superhero genera began with the Ninja Turtles. While I’ve never called myself a die-hard fan of the series ... I still haven't seen a single episode of any TV show ... but with that said, I still collected the toys when I was a kid, I adored the first two live-action 90’s movies, and I’ve been consistent with watching every new movie that’s come out sense. They’re like a special group of old friends who occasionally return to say “hay, remember us … lets go have some fun like back in the old days”. 

As such, I feel I’m long overdue to stop and rank every theatrical Ninja Turtle movie, based solely on my feelings, from my least favorite, to absolute favorite. As a side note, I’ve seen many of the direct to video Ninja Turtle Movies, including “Turtles Forever” and “Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” … which I like more than most of the actual films … but still, I want to keep this list consistent with their official, theatrical productions.    

(Notice: I still need to see “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”, but I will update this ranking once I see it) 

 

#6 “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3” (1993)

Back when I was a kid in the 90’s, I owned the first two live-action Ninja Turtles movies on VHS, and a re-watched them in my house quiet frequently. However, for the longest time, I thought there were only those first two movies, and it honestly wasn’t until my high-school years that I discovered this third film, which is part of my original 90’s series.

I was surprised I missed this one, but I wasn’t disappointed either … as I got the impression that I wouldn’t have liked this, even back in my childhood years. Our heroes in a half-shell go back in time to Feudal Japan, and find themselves protecting villagers from a wicked Samuri, and a nasty British Officer, who aim to colonize the locals. While the concept of the Ninja Turtles in a Samurai venture isn’t a bad idea on paper … the execution just did everything wrong. It’s very slow, not much action, the premise is one-note, it’s full of cringe gags, as well as disposable foes, and features some distractingly awful puppet effects. There’s a reason it continues to appear on lists of the worst comic-book movies … and for the turtles … it was their lowest point by far.

 

#5 “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” (2014) 

After the resurgence of superhero movies in the two-thousand-teens, it was time for the Ninja Turtles to return to live action … with mixed results. 

In a decent change-up, TV reporter April O’ Neil is the focus point of the film, as she reunites with four turtles that used to be her childhood pets, and have sense been mutated into giant, crime fighting heroes. Perfect timing, as their just what the city needs to face off against a heavily armed group of terrorists, and their lethal robot leader … the Shredder. While a perfectly watchable film, it’s not too memorable an experience either, and has no real hold on me as something I want to re-watch again. It's basically a bare-bone origin story that hits all the check marks for setting-up a franchise, without much substance on its own. Along with a disjointed script, it just makes this an “in one ear and out the other” experience. With all that said, some well-placed set-pieces do make it somewhat worthwhile for fans of these characters.

 

#4 “TMNT” (2007) 

Fifteen years after the original 90’s movies ended, this film marked the debut of their very first animated theatrical outing … and I’ve always viewed it as a somewhat underrated instalment in their long running series. Set one year after the Ninja Turtles broke-up and went separate ways, a new threat in the form of immortal soldiers and giant monsters bring them back together for one of their most challenging adventures yet. 

For me, it’s the outlandish villain plot that keeps this Ninja Turtle movie from achieving greatness, and yet, I feel it still remains one of the superior entries in the series. There’s an admirable effort to bring some grounded character complexities to the Turtles, and while the execution can be a little slopy at times, I still apricate the effort. There’s also a great voice cast, with talents including Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michell Geller, Mako, Chris Evans, and others. More than anything, this film holds-up with energized set-pieces, and a stellar art direction that was different from other animated movies of the time … and still looks unique all these years later.

 


#3 “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze” (1991) 

The evil Shredder has returned, and is out for revenge against the Ninja Turtles, and this time, his methods involve using a mysterious green ooze to create two mutant monsters strong enough to defeat our green heroes. Back when I was a little kid, this was my favorite Ninja Turtle offering by a mile, and it’s out of pure nostalgia that this film ranks as high as it does, and occasionally holds-up for re-watches. It’s one of those films that easily appealed to kids of a certain generation, and it still feels like a novelty item to those of us who are still young at heart. The film also features admirable creature effects and puppet work … arguably the best of any live-action film. Being realistic, this movie is still a far cry from high-quality entertainment, and is quite ridiculous all around … but it’s comfort food, and that will always have its place. 

 


#2 “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” (2016) 


After saving New York from the Shredder, the Ninja Turtles are committed to being watchful guardians over the city, but are eager the emerge from the confines of the sewers, and be excepted topside. Their chance to step out of the shadows finally comes when New York faces an even greater threat, this time in the form of an alien conqueror named Krang. While there are certainly better options for superhero movies, this is one of the easiest Turtle movies to just go in and have some fun with. It’s clearly devoted to pleasing longtime fans, with focus on popular animated iconography coming to life in live-action, along with recognizable characters from the TV shows, and bombastic action sequences, which all go a long way in making this one of the simplest, yet genuinely fun Ninja Turtle outings.

       

#1 “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie” (1990) 

When a clan of Ninja’s, led by the ruthless Shredder, operate an underground crime-ring in New York, hope emerges in the form of four mutated Ninja Turtles. Along with “Superman” and “Batman”, I consider this film one of the original pioneers of the superhero genera, and as far back as I can remember, this was the very first comic-book movie I ever saw. 

While I really can’t make a persuasive argument for this first Ninja Turtle movie as any kind of meaningful cinematic achievement … it's still undeniably a nostalgic delight to watch, with top-tier puppet work, catchy theme music, just enough layers to the characters to make me care, an imposing main villain, and thrilling action brawls that are still just as riveting all these years later. It even has a little bit of a dark edge, which is all the more admirable when watching this film as an adult. With its commitment to adapting the best of both the comics and 80’s cartoon, we end-up with a product that’s honestly better than it had any right to be. The action scenes really are quite good for people in costumes, the music gets me so pumped, and the Shredder is still one of my favorite villains to ever come from a comic book adapted film. All in all, its cheesy fun, and it remains my absolute favorite of the Ninja Turtles at the movies. 

Thanks for reading my countdown … and continue to enjoy the movies you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment