Thursday, October 26, 2023

Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021) (Special Review)

 

  When it comes to the famous Muppet characters, I’ve personally never called myself a fan, nor have I really seen any of the shows, but I have seen most of the movies, and I do still have my reserved fondness for them. For me, I prefer viewing the Muppets as a group of thespians, who’d play various well-known characters, but brought to life through their own distinct personalities. Whether it be “Treasure Island”, or “A Christmas Carol”, or even “The Wizard of Oz”, I always seem to enjoy the Muppets most when they’re in the roles of classic characters from other established stories or franchises. 

For a special Halloween streaming event in 2021, the Muppets were given another unique merging with Disney’s “The Haunted Mansion”, in an hour long special titled “Muppets Haunted Mansion”. The established spooky setting already had a lot of personality, and with its world combined with a Muppets presentation, it opens the door for a lot of fun possibilities. I’ve loved the Disney ride my whole life ... in fact, “The Haunted Mansion” in general is my favorite of Disney’s theme park attractions, and I’m always open for more spin-off material revolving around it. So, lets take a closer look and see how this collaboration turned out.  

  It’s Halloween night, and the great Gonzo is eager to face a spooky challenge. Thus, he ditches his chance for a party with the rest of the Muppets, and instead accepts a challenge to last one night in a Haunted Mansion. At his side is Pepe, who’s none to happy to be missing a party. Never the less, the two have to keep their wits about, as every room in the mansion has a new surprise waiting for them. 

One ghoulish bride in particular has her evil eyes on Pepe, while Gonzo faces the one thing that actually scares him … his mortality, and value as a Muppet. Gonzo in general has always been my favorite of the Muppets, so I was very happy to see him in the lead role for this outing. Naturally, he has the funniest lines … “No one says god-bye here, they just ghost you”. His arc is fairly simple, but effective, and surprisingly mature for what I was expecting from this special. The image of Gonzo withering away is a striking one that left a genuine impression. I always admire when a Halloween special steps past conventional scares, and focuses on personal haunts that many viewers can relate to.   

  I will say that, as a kid from the 90’s who grew-up with “Muppet Treasure Island” and “The Muppets Christmas Carol”, I would have preferred Rizzo the Rat as Gonzo’s partner on this spooky venture, but I suppose Pepe is still an okay choice. As usual, it’s great to see the other Muppet members as recognizable Haunted Mansion characters. Kermit the Frog is Mr. Gracy, Miss Piggy is Madame Leota, and Fozzie Bear is the Hat-Box Ghost. I really loved seeing those bed-sheet ghosts, who were in previous Muppets Halloween specials. We also have our celebrity appearances, including Will Arnett, who brings his typical charm and theatrics to his role as the titular Ghost Host. The late Ed Asner is also featured as a ghost named Claude, marking one of his final performances before his passing, and the special was even dedicated to his memory.



 The real star who steals the show is Taraji P. Henson as the villainess Bride named Constance Hatchaway. Ever sense 2006, she’s been the main villain of the theme-park ride (at least here in America), and it was cool to see her take a leading role in the special. While her design isn’t nearly as cryptic as her ride counterpart, I could picture her spooking some kids, especially with her red eyes. The actress of course delivers an enjoyably hammy performance, and she even gets a decent villain song called “Tie the Knot Tango”. 
Speaking of which, a Muppet special just wouldn’t be complete without song numbers, and these musical sequences are a real joy. While I don’t get a full-on song number of the rides iconic “Grim Grinning Ghosts” theme, the opening “Rest in Peace” still kicks things off on a high note, and makes for a really fun Cemetery setting. Of course, the big “Life Hereafter” musical number in the ball room is a delight, with a catchy melody, as well as the most active environment, and all the best visual splendor. 

   On that note, this specials combination of Muppets imagery with Haunted Mansion iconography is a very appealing one, as it lends to some unique character designs, imaginative creatures, and environments bursting with personality. The cold colors will be an acquired taste for some, but I feel it adds to the mood and cartoony atmosphere of the special. Some of the best visual highlights come near the end, when Gonzo races off to rescue Pepe from getting married to Constance, and we get rotating hallways, Ghostly obstacles, and a giant creature waiting at the bottom of the stairs. At the end, Gonzo and Pepe survive the night, and we get another upbeat musical number to play us out … this time it’s a cast rendition of King Harvest’s “Dancing in the Moonlight”, and it’s a fine note to go out on.     

  All around, this special received positive reviews, won some day-time Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Art Direction/ Set Decoration/ Scenic Design, and thus far … this is the most critically successful spin-off of Disney’s Haunted Mansion. Speaking personally, I wouldn’t call this little Muppet Halloween special any kind of masterpiece, but I certainly enjoyed it, and I’d place it among the Muppet outings that I’d happily re-watch again someday. It didn’t overstay it’s welcome, was consistently delightful, had just the right amount of energy, creativity, and I can see it easily appealing to fans of either franchise. I’m definitely more of a Haunted Mansion fan myself, and will always welcome a new spin-off from Disney … even one with the Muppets front in center.     

Thanks for reading my review of the 2021 special “Muppets Haunted Mansion” … and continue to make every day in October feel like Halloween.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment