Wednesday, August 12, 2020

All X-Men Movies Ranked

When it comes to comic-book movie franchises, “X-Men” will always stand as my personal favorite. I’m a huge fan of just about everything X-Men related, and this film series has meant the world to me. It’s had its share of stinkers to be sure, but when their good … they respect the source material, while keeping regular audiences entertained and invested. That’s no easy task, considering how many different characters, back stories, and plot threads go into the X-Men universe. All the actors bring their respected characters to life with class, elegance, and charismatic performances. I feel that this series has something special at the center that takes it one step higher than any other superhero franchise.

I’m naturally referring to its sharp narrative focus, and issues that go beyond your usual defeat villain scenario. The subject of prejudice and excepting what makes you different is such a welcome concept for a superhero franchise, that it elevates all the spectacular action sequences, and impressive effects. Whether you like these films or not, one thing remains certain, this is the series that made audiences realize just how smart a comic book adapted movie can be, and it will forever be a staple in the comic-book genera. There have now been thirteen theatrical X-Men Movies, and here’s my own personal ranking of least to favorite. I’m not trying to make any official list, just my own personal ranking of each movie from my favorite superhero franchise.  

 

#13 X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) 


The long running era of X-Men movies under the production of 20th Century Fox comes to a close, and while the final product could have been stronger (should have been stronger), I still felt like I had to savor this one last outing with my favorite ensemble cast of X-Men performances. Sophie Turner owns the screen in her dynamic portrayal of Jean Grey, and along with some slight emotional highlights, as well as a fun train battle finale … it kept the movie from being a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, it’s still bottom of the barrel for this franchise, with little drive, a one-note premise, and an overall experience that makes for a feeble curtain call.

 


#12 “The New Mutants” (2020) 


My favorite comic-book franchise takes an interesting new direction into the horror genera, resulting in a fun little haunted house film, but with super-powered excitement mixed in. While the plot is very run of the mil and predictable … the committed performances from a strong cast, along with the novelty of seeing lesser characters from the X-Men comics finally on the big screen were just enough to make this a genuinely satisfying experience. The down-side is that the whole film dose feel rather disposable, like a passable set-up for a series that will never happen. Had this been a pilot for a TV series, it would have been better … as a stand-alone movie … it’s okay. It had it's worthwhile highlights, and managed to tie-into the series, while still being a self-contained experience. At the very least, it was a novelty just for feeling so different from any other film in the series … and sense it’s tied into my favorite superhero franchise, I’ll at least remember it for that.       


#11 X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) 


In general, Wolverine has always been my favorite X-Men character, and Hugh Jackman’s portrayal of the character is my favorite of any superhero portrayal in film. As such, a solo adventure with him seemed like an awesome idea … to bad, even he’s not immune to a poor scrip, and week execution. A by-the-numbers revenge story, obvious action clichés, and an origin set-up that shatters the mystery of the franchises most intriguing hero really brings the film down hard. Having said all that, Jackman still gives a solid performance, I also need to savor seeing my second favorite X-Men character Gambit in a movie, and there’s some mild entertainment to make it … nothing great … but slightly passive.

 


#10 Deadpool (2016) 


If you’re not a fan of really rude, overly violent, and needlessly sexual humor, you should probably skip this film entirely. However, if you like extremely clever, forth wall breaking comic book satire, interjected with lots of style, and charismatic performances, then "Deadpool" will entertain the living crap out of you! As for me personally ... I'm caught somewhere between the two extremes. I for one have personally never been a fan of the Deadpool character, and as such, even though his movie was executed correctly, it’s just not going to resonate with me as much. Still, a fun movie, and I love how it worked smaller X-Men characters like Colossus into the picture.

 


 #9 Deadpool 2 (2018) 


I still have my reservations reserved for Deadpool and his foul sense of hummer, but I'm not going to pretend that "Deadpool 2" wasn't a fun time at the movies either, largely thanks to Ryan Reynolds infectious charm, a strong cast of colorful new side characters, white knuckled action, no shortage of fan-serves, and in-jokes for us long time readers of the X-Men comics. Again, I can’t rank this film too high, as I’m just not that big a Deadpool fan, but at least he can turn out some respectful adaptions of his source material, and still keep the X-Men present in his ventures. 




#8 X-Men 3: The Last Stand (2006) 


Even though this sequel wasn’t executed nearly as well as it's predecessor “X2: X-Men United”, I honestly found this story more engaging, and the experience was just more fun, even if it didn’t work as a whole. I think there’s just enough worthy character interactions and storytelling to support the films sheer spectacles, big concepts, ambitious direction, and thrilling action scenes. While the deaths of certain characters weren’t handled with the level of care they deserved, and the pace was rushed, I still feel this third entry contains more of what I generally want to see in an exciting X-Men film.

 


#7 X2: X-Men United (2003) 


Universally regarded as one of the all-time great comic-book movies, and a benchmark for the franchise … I sadly just never felt the same level of love or admiration for this film. It's slower, and less action-packed then other entries in the series, and isn’t even that pleasing from a visual perspective with its lack of "color". Regardless, I do still like this movie enough, as it developed the characters further, has a larger story, a menacing human villain, and features our heroes on the run in a desperate fight for survival. It’s all around one of the more competently made entries in the “X-Men” series, but I always felt it could have used a little more kick. 



#6 X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) 


The initial conclusion to the "First Class" films sent the series off in a spectacular blaze of epic blockbuster fashion, show casing one of the comics most iconic villains, character depth, the welcome return of old characters now played by young new talents, resonant themes, and a final battle that absolutely cooks. Visually, this film looks and feels the most like an X-Men comic or cartoon brought to life in live-action, and it’s the one I find myself simply enjoying the most. Granted, the plot is straightforward and by the numbers, but for me, it’s executed with flair, energy, great performances, some well placed comedy, and it just makes for a highly entertaining, and explosive venture with my favorite heroes.  

 


 #5 Logan (2017) 


Brutally violent, depressing, and some-what inconsistent in pacing, but still a poignant, powerfully acted send off for Jackman in his final role as the iconic hero. It's also a deeply thrilling introduction to X-23, making this a "not-fun", but satisfying, and strong entry in the series. I know most fans would rank this film higher … like one of the top three best, but this is one case in which, I just need to be in the right mind-set to watch and appreciate it. Otherwise, this film drains me with it’s brooding nature, but still … I know a good movie when I see one, and this is easily one of Wolverines most dignified ventures, securing his place as a respected icon of the comic-book genera.  

 

 

#4 X-Men (2000) 


While certainly not one of the most re-watchable entries in the series, I'll always regard this as the classic movie that started it all. I’ve always loved the X-Men comics, TV shows, and seeing this live action film adaption at a young age was a real treat. This is the movie that made me love comic book movies, a big Marvel fan, an even bigger “X-Men” fan than I already was, a big action fan, and a fan of the wonders of cinema. Plus, this film succeeds in bringing a crowded group of characters together, with charm, humanity, and a sharp narrative focus. To this day, it’s still one of my most important movie experiences that shaped me into the fan I am today … and things have never been the same sense.


#3 The Wolverine (2013) 


I know I’m a minority of this, but here’s my personal favorite of Wolverines solo adventures. In general, I love martial arts cinema, and it’s awesome to see Wolverine in Japan, almost like a guest superhero in one of my favorite action genera’s. The locations are beautiful, the action scenes thrill and are brilliantly staged. It’s also just the right pace that never feels rushed, yet it still gives me that extra kick. Plus, it’s a deeper character themed story revolving around a hero rediscovering his worth after losing everything he initially fought for. It makes “The Wolverine” a worthy standalone action flick, one that the classic character has always deserved, and it’s absolutely my favorite of his stand-alone ventures. 


#2 X-Men: First Class (2011) 


Combining the smart and competent writing of the first two X-Men movies with the massive, explosive and action-packed tones of the ladder two films make "First Class" a rare fifth installment that manages to surpass all of its predecessors. Without question, this is one of my favorite Superhero team origin stories ever captured on film, and helped breath life back into a dying franchise. It also features some of the best individual emotional highlights of the series, with performances that really hit it out of the park. The ensemble cast is personally my favorite of any X-Men movie, the energy is high, there’s great style in the direction, and there’s a rewarding sense of fun to the whole experience. Seriously, I was losing hope in this franchise, but this movie grabbed me, shook me up and down, and reminded me why X-Men is one of my favorite fandom's.

 #1 X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) 


This is hands down my favorite of the X-Men series, as it’s a mega crossover bringing together the Original Trilogy, the First-Class series, and even the Wolverine films together into one perfect package. It’s also a respectable adaption of its iconic source material, and raises the bar for X-Men at the movies. It took the series to new heights, with bigger spectacles, Oscar worthy visual effects, and sensational action, but it has a consistently strong story, a script that never forgets it’s characters, and it even boasts respectable moral themes at the center. Just a personal opinion, but in my view, "X-Men: Days of Future Past" highlights the best of the series, and gives you more … including powerful performances, an intriguing time-travel plot, alternate realities, plenty of high-stake action, and it never looses that substance at the center, which makes X-Men so special to me. Without question, this is my favorite of the X-Men film series by far, and it has a secure spot as one of my personal all-time favorite movies. 

Thanks for reading my Superhero themed countdown … and continue to enjoy the movies you Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment